Start a new topic

QuickKeys command line arguments for running Windows applications

Hi!

It would be wonderful if you could add the possibility of running windows applications with command line arguments. Many windows applications take command line arguments and it would make QuickKeys even more versatile.  

Thanks for considering :-)

Cheers

Andy

Thanks for posting that and for adding the example.

Thank you. There are so many things you could do with command line arguments. It really opens up a new world of possibilities. You could then interact with any app that accepts command line arguments. For example, if I wanted to increase the brightness of my monitor I could do it with this simple command line and the app Controlmymonitor:

ControlMyMonitor.exe /ChangeValue "K6LMQS074873" 10 1

I gave this example earlier in this thread with more details on how it works and Danny Allen also gave an example of how he controls lights.

It is a very simple task to implement command line arguments but it would be a very powerful feature.  

Anders

This is in the works. What applications and what type of arguments would you be entering? I would like to pass this on to the driver team so they can test with real-world customer type scenarios. 

Thank you.

Please know that I'm pushing hard on the Driver team to get this ability added to the Quick Keys, and our other device buttons (Pens, Tablet, Display).

Please help us to get the command line arguments implemented.

It is still on the drawing table. There are a number of high-priority projects that the driver and product teams are finishing up right now. Please stay tuned for new product releases that are right around the corner. 

Adding arguments to the Run/Open command is on their radar.

The product team is looking at ways to expand the use of Quick Keys. When the Quick Keys were developed, it was designed around being a tool or an extension for the artist.

We did not see all the other possibilities you can use the Quick Keys for with just a little tweaking and some modification. It speaks to that old saying; you don’t know what you don’t know. And we just did not know how they would be used outside of the Art world.

With that said, what are some other areas or uses do you see the Quick Keys being used in with a few tweaks or expansion?

Any news?

The Driver team has this on their road map. I do not have an ETA as to when it will be available.

Mike, what's the status? 

Thanks

Thanks for the clarification. 

@Mike McBride, the command line arguments wouldn't be added into the keystroke UI, but into the Application > Open/Run... UI, see my mockup here:

Thanks for the kind words. I'll pass that on to the Driver team. They love seeing that!

For the Command line arguments, how do you think you would use that? Currently, you can enter 24 characters into the Keystroke feature of the Quick Keys. I would like to see some examples of you would like us to develop that Quick Keys.

There is a new stand-alone driver for QuicKKeys for Windows (v1.2.1-14), that's great to see that sort of development! It would be so great now if you could also implement command line arguments in that stand-alone driver ;-)

Yes, being able to set cmd line arguments is critical, as is being able to issue the cmds + args to different shells (IOW, don't just support cmd-line args for cmd.exe, please, you need to support them generally to any app the user's selected).

Thanks!

Login to post a comment